HALL & KAY ENGINEERING
Fire Protection & Fire Detection – FREE QUOTATION
Call us on 0121 421 9502 and use code CSM70.
UK’s largest independent fire suppression company delivering excellence in fire protection and detection throughout the UK since 1878. Hall & Kay are a fully approved and certified LPS 1048/1204/1014 fire system installer and maintenance contractor assessed to ISO 9001.
Our main areas of expertise are:
Fire Suppression, Gaseous Extinguishing, Fire Detection, Fire Alarm, Service and Maintenance
Our Main Contract Divisions focus on new build projects and major alteration works to existing fire protection and detection systems:
- Retail– all major retail store chains and single business units
- Industrial/Warehousing– all major process and storage facilities
- Commercial– Shell, core and fit out of commercial premises
- Residential– Large developments, retrofitting and wet/dry riser installations
- Education– Schools and Academies
- Healthcare– Hospitals and Care Homes
- Data Centres
Our Small Works Division encompasses all works on new and existing sprinkler systems:
- New– Shop units in addition to small commercial fit outs
- Extension– Additional works due to building expansion
- Refit– Additional works to suit remodel
- Remedial– Planned Service visit identifying additional work required
- Refresh– Additional works because of internal layout changes to premises
We design, supply, install, commission and maintain a variety of Fire Suppression Systems to the recognised standards including BS EN, BS, NFPA and FM.
We cover the whole of the UK and Europe, from our 3 main offices in Ascot, Birmingham and Manchester.
We take into full consideration BS 9991:2015 and BS 9999:2017 which relate to Fire Safety Design within different occupant buildings.
At Hall & Kay within the UK, we work to two main standards.
BS EN 12845:2015 is mainly used for Commercial and Industrial properties, with Hazard Classifications ranging from Light Hazard to Extra High Hazard.
BS 9251:2014 is used for Residential and Domestic Properties, ranging from Houses to High Rise Apartment Blocks.
Common Types of System
- Wet– These systems are charged with water at all times, and are the most commonly used.
- Dry– These are appropriate for applications either where there is a danger of the water in the pipework freezing, or where there may be temperatures of above 70°c.
- Pre-Action– This is a dry-pipe system, which is linked to an automatic fire detection system protecting the same area. This is generally used in areas which could be damaged by water, such as electrical rooms or computer suites.
Wet & Dry Riser Systems
These are systems of pipework and valves, which are often found within high-rise buildings over 18m in height, which allows firefighting water to be easily delivered to all floors.
Dry Risers are installed in buildings under 50m in height, and Wet Risers are installed in buildings over 50m in height, or less if the access to the building by Fire Services is insufficient.
We design, supply, install, test & commission Low Pressure Water Mist Systems to the two British Standards.
- BS 8458:2015 – Residential & Domestic Watermist Systems
- BS 8489:2016 – Industrial & Commercial Watermist Systems
GASEOUS EXTINGUISHING, FIRE ALARM & DETECTION
We design, supply, install, commission and maintain a variety of Fixed Gaseous extinguishing, Fire Detection & Fire Alarm systems throughout the UK, to all recognised standards including BS EN, NFPA and ISO.
- Gaseous Suppression
- Fire Alarms (VA)
- Fire Detection (Point type, VESDA, Flame)
- Disabled Refuge Systems
We are happy to cater of any size of project, including “turnkey”, residential, commercial and industrial.
We pay particular attention to evaluating the overall risk of fire and the likely effects on the occupants and the premises, and carefully design our systems with all of these factors in mind.
Hall & Kay are certified to LPS 1204 and use a variety of Gaseous Suppression systems as they are ideal for protecting many different assets that may be susceptible to water damage. These systems are divided into Chemical Gases like ‘Novec’ and ‘FM200’, and Inert Gases which include ‘Argonite, CO2 and Inergen’.
Typically, these systems are applied to:
- Computer Rooms
- Switch rooms
These systems can designed and installed as standalone or directional valve protecting a variety of enclosures with a central cylinder bank.
A nationwide maintenance, test and inspection service is available for both new and existing systems. System surveys, design and maintenance inspections are also available throughout continental Europe.
Fire Alarm & Detection
Hall & Kay are certified to LPS 1014 and fire detection systems are designed to discover fires early in their development, to enable safe evacuation of occupants in areas that may not be suitable for a water based extinguishing system. These detectors are usually coupled to a fire alarm system to alert all occupants and the fire services.
At Hall & Kay we design, install, maintain and commission fire alarms in the UK for a wide range of customers, from industrial locations, schools, colleges and universities to pubs, leisure centres and residential properties.
We are highly experienced in designing fire alarms that minimise the visual impact on their surroundings, an important consideration for historic and architect designed properties.
Disabled Refuse Systems
Current Building Regulations require all new non-domestic buildings with more than one storey to provide ‘refuge’ areas – places of relative safety where people who cannot easily use fire escape routes can wait and call for assistance.
Simple, effective two-way communication allows rescue teams to determine where assistance is required and to reassure people that help is coming.
SERVICE & MAINTENANCE
Service Vision Statement
To be the UK’s leading Sprinkler maintenance supplier, by delivering engineering excellence across our strategic partnerships. To be at the forefront of driving technical innovation that will as a result, provide more effective and efficient maintenance performance for our clients.
What We Do:
- Sprinkler Systems
- Wet & Dry Risers
- Pumps & Tanks
- Fire Alarms
- Gaseous Extinguishing
The servicing departments are in Ascot,Birmingham, Manchesterand Glasgow, giving unique coverage to both planned and reactive maintenance throughout the whole of the UK.
Our sprinkler technicians are also strategically placed nationwide, all directly employed, and are all in constant touch with their relative H&K office to offer a much smoother and quicker response to your requirements.
In addition, we are developing a “State of the Art” Service Management System, which allows our call Centre or customers to log calls and as a result it allows:
- Customers to have sight of a full history of their site and equipment.
- Engineers can upload photographs of the site and problems from the tablet and cloud-based system.
- Contract updates and automatic invoicing.